Like most organizations, the Tahoma Unitarian Universalist Congregation has written statements of vision and mission. Through a series of #fUUtureFaith conversations that Rev. Linda Hart facilitated last winter and spring, we affirmed these statements, which convey our view of the future of Unitarian Universalism in Pierce County. To paraphrase:
We sustain an enduring Tahoma Unitarian Universalist Congregation as we …
- welcome all with love and compassion
- celebrate the diversity in our common humanity
- inspire the spirit, heart, and mind
- engage in the wider community in working for justice
- live and promote Unitarian Universalist principles
Working on behalf of the congregation and building from what we learned in last year’s #fUUtureFaith discussions, your Board of Trustees has further detailed the ends we hope to achieve as a congregation:
- We value active connection within our TUUC community. Our congregation and its members support each other as we work together in shared ministry to practice love, generosity, and understanding.
- Social justice. TUUC works in partnership with others to transform lives in Pierce County and beyond. We encourage congregants in acts of service and witness.
- Financial stability. TUUC is financially sound, sustained by a culture that provides abundant financial support for the congregation and its programs. Members demonstrate generosity as a spiritual practice.
The board will be encouraging committees, programs, staff, and individuals to clarify how they and the congregation as a whole can best work to achieve these ends. We’re beginning with an “engagement summit” on February 4, 2017. We’ll develop other opportunities for broad discussions about how we can live into our visions for social justice and financial stability.
You might notice that our prophecy begins to come true as we each take up a strand of activity, grounded in UU values and in our covenant of right relations, to build community within the congregation and in the world outside our doors. Your role:
- Join in (some part of) the work.
- Practice love and understanding. Demonstrate generosity.
- Bear witness.
President, Board of Trustees